Alliance's cultural position

Don Perkins dperkins at GPU.SRV.UALBERTA.CA
Wed Nov 15 12:12:14 EST 2000

Tibor,

        The issue with Grey's response is not transparency--I think we'd
all like to see more acountability and transparency in government (i.e.
public) spending.  In fact, I'd like to see an end to the phrase
"government spending."  The issue is in her use of the word "Canadians,"
which does not mean all Canadians, or many Canadians, or a majority of
Canadians, or taxpaying Canadians. It means those few voices "we" will
choose to listen to as authentic or reliable.  It links with "Community
Standards," and other such fictions that build in-groups who set standards
for the good of us all.  People who have "values," as opposed to those of
us who do not, apparently.  Of course, even the Liberals have been talking
"values" this trip, so where next?

Don Perkins