Comment from the Alliance

Bruce Barton bbarton at IS.DAL.CA
Thu Nov 23 13:28:57 EST 2000

This seems--out of context, at least--a quite remarkable statement.  It is
certainly free of the ambiguity we've seen discussed on this list from
Alliance representatives regarding funding for the arts, etc.  Is there any
sense that this is actually a Party position?  Can we verify this
statement?  If so, it should receive VERY broad distribution.

At 9:01 AM -0700 11/23/00, Ches Skinner wrote:
>> Reform/Alliance MP Ted White (member for Lynn Valley, North Vancouver)
>
>recently wrote this in response to a letter from a UBC professor:
>>
>> "Although I do not question that some of the research funded by the
>> SSHRC has been quite constructive and forward-looking, I also know
>that
>> much of it is not. For example, I cannot conceive of any way in which
>> research in the fields of fine arts, classical studies, philosophy,
>> anthropology, modern languages and literature, or medieval studies,
>which
>> together accounted for over $5.3 million in grants from SSHRC in the
>> last fiscal year, contributes to any 'understanding of Canadian
>society
>> or the challenges we face as we enter the 21st century.' Research into
>
>> such fields, as far as my constituents are concerned, constitutes a
>> personal past-time, and has no benefit to Canadian taxpayers. As their
>
>> representative, I cannot justify funding such activities with their
>tax
>> dollars."

Bruce Barton
Dalhousie University