[Fwd: Election Alert]

Allana Lindgren allana_l at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 24 23:18:08 EST 2000

Thanks for passing on the "Election Alert" e-mail. As a subscriber to this
list, I would like to state that arts funding is of great concern to me, as
is the ability to voice that concern freely.

Whether I agree or not with the opinion attributed to Ted White, I fail to
see how distributing it amounts to "political propaganda". My only
hesitation is this: has the e-mail been verified? That is, do we know for
sure that the e-mail originated with Mr. White? If so, then the Alliance
position as represented by one of its own members should be made public,
particularly to people in the arts sector, particularly during an election.
I want to make an informed choice on election day and up to this point the
Alliance platform has not been clear on funding as it relates to the arts
and scholarly research on arts-related topics.

I would be just as happy to hear the views of people who agree with Mr.
White as those who disagree with him. Rational debate is crucial for any
decision-making process, be it political or otherwise. After all, isn't the
whole point of universities to challenge and debate ideas? Isn't being
confronted by controversal viewpoints a critical part of education?

I don't know what the "unspoken contracts behind venues like listservs"
means, but I certainly worry about the unspoken agenda behind a such a
statement--that free speech should be negated if the message is deemed
undesirable. If subscribers did not like Jane's description of a "horrid
little tidbit", erase the message. Don't try to shut down the whole
conversation.

All this said, perhaps I am wrong. Perhaps there is absolutely nothing
political about the humanities, the arts (particularly performance) and
arts-related research. Yes, perhaps the arts are best seen as trival
entertainment and arts-related research as a waste of money. Tax-payers'
dollars are better spent on important topics like researching the benefits
of a two-tiered health system and the most palatable way to axe Old Age
Security and the Canadian Pension Plan.

Allana Lindgren

On Friday, November 24, 2000