Fwd: Re: SSHRC Grants

Michael J. Sidnell ms38 at POST.QUEENSU.CA
Sun Nov 26 14:52:24 EST 2000

Though I hesitate, Candrama, to add to the noise in the hall, I suppose I
really do have to have to forward this correspondence about the
recently-posted email that "purported" (to use Ted White MP 's word) to
come from him.  Michael

Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 14:38:57 -0500
From: "Michael J. Sidnell" <m.sidnell at utoronto.ca>
To: ElectTedWhite at aol.com
Subject: Re: SSHRC Grants

Thanks Ted White for your prompt reply.  It is not clear-- I mean this
sincerely-- what you mean by saying that "as a Member of Parliament" you
cannot confirm or deny the accuracy of the message I received over your
name.  Do you mean that an MP is too busy to know what communications he or
his staff send out?  Or that, as an MP, you are privileged and so not
responsible for your utterances?  Your use of “purported" suggests that you
are disinclined to accept the message as authentic.  But you don't say
whether you agree or disagree with its substance, which is, of course, the
issue.  Your response does suggest, however, that you will not confirm what
is, in fact, your view, in case that should cause you or your party some
kind of embarrassment.

As to your challenge, I shall also assume that it is genuine– that you are
naive, not disingenuous, in asking (peremptorily, alas) for a detailed
assessments of research projects of which you give only the briefest
titles.  WHY can you not see that some information about each project,
beyond the title, would be necessary for anything but a knee-jerk
response?  Consider this: it will enlarge your
self-understanding.  Consider also that many of the research titles you
list indicate an historical or foreign dimension to the study in question;
and that you are really and truly puzzled that the experience of any other
time or place could  be thought relevant to this country and the present
day.  You would probably find it worth the effort to consider how the study
of medieval fishing practices, human reproduction elsewhere,
gender-relations, cults, education or sub-cultures  in Vancouver, would
be-- if well conducted --  relevant to us here and now.  Examples from the
past and elsewhere may even help us to “place” and understand Ted White’s
policies and political practices.  It is always interesting to know where
an MP takes his bearings from.  If the past and elsewhere are not relevant
to your understanding of our present, what does guide your approach to
public policy?  And, particularly, what concrete and specific proposals
have you to make research agencies more accountable in the use of public
funds.  Do you have any such ideas that you are willing to acknowledge?

Michael Sidnell