Ottawa Citizen

Jim Noonan jnoonan at SYMPATICO.CA
Mon Nov 27 16:31:42 EST 2000

Hello Everyone:

The Ottawa Citizen has recently adopted a policy of reviewing very little
amateur theatre in Ottawa, or, when they do, of sending unqualified
reviewers to review it.
Nevertheless, it has on its staff a quite competent reviewer in the person
of Iris Winston, who reviewed much amateur theatre here in the past, and
two other critics - Janice Kennedy and Barbara Crook - who used to review
professional theatre regularly.
I was told that the person who recently gave a negative review in The
Citizen of a production of Terrence Rattigan's Separate Tables at the
Ottawa Little Theatre is a ten-year-old.

In the light of this disservice to the theatre-going public and to amateur
theatre companies in Ottawa, I urge members of ACTR/ARTC to write the
publisher and president of The Citizen, Russell Mills, at the following
email address: <rmills at thecitizen.southam.ca>, or at the following address:
        The Ottawa Citizen
        1101 Baxter Road
        Box 5020
        Ottawa, ON
        K2C 3M4.
If you wish to send me copies of your correspondence, I would be grateful.

Thank you in advance for your support of theatre in Ottawa.

Yours, Jim Noonan