Encyclopedia News; October 27

Gaetan Charlebois blajeune at TOTAL.NET
Fri Oct 27 15:49:39 EDT 2000

Hello All

Well we did it: cracked 15,000 visitors for a week (15,738 to be exact).
Things are sweet.

Facts you need: the site now takes up about 47 megs of space and includes
some 2600 items (pages, photos, icons, etc). The information contained in it
- photos included - would fill some four volumes, 500 pages each, if it was
a printed book. There are 1278 separate profiles, over 250 reviews archived
and another 100 or so various items (documents of interest, media, etc.).

As you can see, below, I got a fit of "Profilitis", dealing with the backlog
of new profiles that has been piling up all summer. (And before you ask,
Marie Charlebois is no relation - though my mother's name was also Marie;
but then, what Catholic girl's wasn't?)

I have been pestered, again this week, about these bulletins and about how
they constitute spam. Out of the thousands who read them, there is, every
six months or so, one meddler who thinks that anything which discusses a
so-called dot-com must be a purely commercial operation and the meddler then
tries to shut the site down (or at least interfere with the site's e-mail).
I try to deal with the meddlers on a one-on-one basis, but sometimes it
becomes problematic (for instance, the last time this happened, my e-mail
account was closed and I went without an ISP for 24 hours). Here's a note
for the busybodies: a dot-com is not, by definition, a commercial
organization. I chose a dot-come domain name (as opposed to a dot-ca or a
dot-org) because people can type a dot-com name into their browser and it
will take them to the site automatically. For instance, all you'd have to do
to get the encyclopedia would be type in "canadiantheatre" and you'd go
there which would not be the case if the domain was a dot-ca or a dot-org. I
chose the dot-com domain for practical reasons not commercial ones. There's
the explanation for that. But it is also important to note that student from
across the country and around the world use the encyclopedia and I get about
100 e-mails a month asking me for help or thanking me for the information
that's already there. It is also true that academics in other countries are
watching this project closely toward creating their own encyclopedias. All
this being said; nothing will stop the meddlers and I will continue to be
challenged by my ISP to prove and re-prove that I have the right to post
these bulletins into the newsgroups. So if you cannot get mail through to
me, it is because my mail account has been temporarily closed because of a
single complaint. There is, however, a notice in my ISP files which says
that I have duly proven that I belong in the newsgroups. However, all it
takes is a change of staff at my ISP and I get shut down.

Oh! some people have a lot of time on their hands... I'm afraid I lost
patience with the latest nitwit and after a fruitless back and forth told
him to go do rude things to himself.

Meanwhile, I will be taking a month or so to tidy things up and to travel so
no chatty little bulletins for a while. Work will proceed apace with another
explosion of activity somewhere around the beginning of December. You will
hear all about it.

New Profiles:
Koensgen, John (Actor) (http://www.canadiantheatre.com/k/koensgenj.html)
Leary, Tim (actor/director/administrator)
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/l/learyt.html)
Charlebois, Marie (Actor)
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/c/charleboism.html)
Needles, Jane (Administrator)
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/n/needlesj.html)
Jacques, Yves (Actor) (http://www.canadiantheatre.com/j/jacquesy.html)
Franken, Jerry (Actor) (http://www.canadiantheatre.com/f/frankenj.html)
Thomson, Graeme S. (Designer)
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/t/thomsong.html)
Pitre, Louise (Actor) (http://www.canadiantheatre.com/p/pitrel.html)
Fringe Theatre Adventures (Company)
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/f/fringetheatreadventures.html)
Les Araignées du boui-boui (Company)
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/a/araigneesdubouiboui.html)

Updates:
Reviews (16 added); Links; Mawson, Michael (Death); Thomson, R.; Necessary
Angel; Rose, R.; Young, D.; Needles, W.; "Les Feluettes"; Highway, T.;
Designing; Associated Designers of Canada; "Inexpressible Island"; "Transit
of Venus"; Musical Theatre; "La Repetition" (P); Champagne, D. (P); Shamas,
S.; Brooks, D. (P); Haentjens, B.; Lebeau, P.; Goulet, M.; Voaden, H.;
Boechler, D.; Musical Theatre; Campion, J.; Theatre Network; Panych, M.;
Peterson, E.; Thomson, K.; Banff Centre for the Arts; LePage, S.; Morisette,
L.; Dean, C.; Bonnier, C.; Newton, C.; Governor General's Awards; Leblanc,
D.; Frehner, H.; Nelligan, K.; Languirand, J.; Alberta; Fringe Movement;
Nova Scotia; French Language Theatre Outside Quebec

If you would like a copy of the entire list of profiles, I can send it to
you by e-mail (there is no charge for this service).

Register your link too (at no charge)!
(http://www.canadiantheatre.com/links/linksguidelines.html)

Gaetan L. Charlebois (Editor, The Encyclopedia of Canadian Theatre on the
WWW) http://www.canadiantheatre.com
If you want to join the Encyclopedia's mailing list, simply send an e-mail
to blajeune at total.net with the subject heading "Mailing list"; if you wish
to be removed from this mailing list, simply reply to this e-mail with the
subject heading: "Remove"