Health awards

Louise H. Forsyth louise.forsyth at USASK.CA
Sun Sep 17 13:26:14 EDT 2000

Dear colleagues,

What great ideas these are from Sherrill and Richard. Can we keep them
moving, generate more? Should we plan a discussion of this for next year's
meeting at Laval?

Now is the time to make archives folks, CIHR folks, federal/ provincial and
university funding folks, as well as ourselves, aware of what our real
contributions to society and our real material needs are.

Cheers to all,

Louise Forsyth

At 09:33 AM 17/08/00 -0700, Sherrill Grace wrote:
>Dear Richard and All:
>Let's keep imagining ways in which we can be part of CIHR teams by making
>theatre part of what is being researched.  I think it's a natural
>connection--remember what all that catharsis does for the blood pressure!
>However, we will have to push ourselves forward because, in my experience,
>theatre is overlooked by social scientists, scientists, and even humanists,
>who just don't 'see' it except as entertainment they buy the odd ticket for
>(but I stop before I start grumping!!) But how about a component on
>"theatre and AIDS", "theatre and prisons", "children's theatre and abuse
>awareness", "theatre, death, and dying", "theatre and disabilities" or more
>elaborate Foucaultian metaphors: "the theatre of madness"?  Who is working
>on cognate areas in medicine, health prevention, social work, aging,
>alzheimers, etc in your universities?  Can we  push for funding components
>to workshop a new play or playwright as part of a research project, put on
>a relevant play as part of a Conference, bring theatre historical expertise
>to contemporary medicine, the ideas proliferate.......
>Go for it!
>Sherrill
>
>At 11:31 AM 8/2/00 -0400, Richard Plant wrote:
> >Hello all:
> >
> >This is self explanatory, but seems likely to have little application in
> >our area, even though there is important work being done in health and
> >theatre.
> >
> >Richard Plant
> >Dept of Drama, Queen's University
> >and
> >Graduate Centre for Study of Drama,
> >University of Toronto

Louise H. Forsyth, PhD
Department of Women's & Gender Studies
9 Campus Drive
University of Saskatchewan
Saskatoon, SK   S7N 5A5

Telephone:              306-966-5496
Facsimile:                      306-966-4559
e-mail:                 louise.forsyth at usask.ca