Canadian Theatre Record/Recueil de théâtre canadien

Lee Ramsay lramsay at TPL.TORONTO.ON.CA
Wed Apr 18 15:01:35 EDT 2001

Colleagues:

The Toronto Reference Library will be applying in early May for funds through Heritage Canada's Partnership Fund to develop a new online resource called "Canadian Theatre Record/Recueil de théâtre canadien".  The proposed project is a bilingual, searchable database of primary and secondary source material pertaining to Canadian theatre and is based on the library's extensive collections of programs, photographs, posters, playbills, stage designs and archival materials.

We see this as a multi-year project that will ultimately include materials held in other collections as well as our own and that will provide a wide range of users -- students, practitioners, researchers, teachers, scholars, theatre-goers -- with the most comprehensive information on Canadian theatre, opera and musical theatre available in a single resource.

Needless to say, we are very excited about this project; it is long overdue.  And we hope that you share our enthusiasm, and will help to support our  application for funding.  What we need specifically are letters of support, from the widest possible range of potential users, attesting to the value of this project and its ability to assist you in your work.

We need letters from all parts of the country, as well as from abroad, and in both official languages.  I know this is a busy time of year for many of you, but if you would be willing to write on our behalf I need to hear from you RIGHT AWAY, as our timeline is short.  I can then send you some background information and a guide to assist you in formulating your response.

Si vous etes un abonné à cette liste qui souscrit également au Quéâtre, je voudrais vous demander si vous pourriez signaler cette demande là aussi.  Nous allons essayer de compléter la documentation avec des informations générales au sujet de notre projet en français pour les répondants francophones.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Lee Ramsay
Theatre Librarian
Performing Arts Centre