Molson and the arts

Craig Walker walkerc at POST.QUEENSU.CA
Wed Aug 29 17:34:43 EDT 2001

Dear Friends,

Most of you will be familiar with the controversy from last spring about
Molson's funding of the arts that was raised by  Toronto actor and
director, Ross Manson.  A few weeks after reading Kate Taylor's piece in
the Globe, I received an e-mail containing what follows below: the original
exchange between Molson and Manson. I have deliberately hung on to it until
now.  As many of us prepare to return to classes in the next week or so,
where we will be seeing many of those who are in Molson's "target
demographic," I thought a reminder right about now would be timely.  I'm
not advocating any direct proselytization of our students, but I know that
discussions touching on issues of this kind are often raised in some of my
classes, and it seems to me that young people studying the arts should at
least know that they have a decision to make.

In case you would like to contact Molson yourself, here is their web
address: http://www.molson.com/home/main.ghtml

Yours,

Craig Walker
Associate Professor, Drama, Queen's University
Artistic Director, Theatre Kingston.