No subject

Moira Day moiraday at DUKE.USASK.CA
Fri Nov 23 15:34:12 EST 2001

Dear Geraldo,
        Thank you for your thoughtful letter. As one who has both received
and given research information down the line, I agree anything that
discourages people, especially from outside our culture, from learning more
about our area is counterproductive.  It's a small world after all.
        But speaking personally, I find I get a better response to my own
inquiries if I'm very specific about what I'm looking for, and can spell
out what homework I've already done on the subject.  Otherwise, it looks as
if you're "vacuuming the universe" for information, and people are
uncertain of what you need or how much of it or even if it will do you much
good. Vagueness on my part seems to invite vagueness and indifference in
return.
        Just thinking out loud. Maybe other people's experience is
different from mine.

Moira