Canadian Theatre Record/Recueil de théâtre canadien is underway!

Lee Ramsay lramsay at TPL.TORONTO.ON.CA
Fri Sep 21 13:49:44 EDT 2001

Colleagues:

Just thought I'd let you know the good news: the Toronto Public Library in conjunction with the National Theatre School and the Associated Designers of Canada has been successful in a joint application to Canadian Heritage to create the Canadian Theatre Record/Recueil de théâtre canadien.  Not only that, we got all the money we asked for, and have been invited to apply for a second year of funding!

The first phase of the project, 2001-2003, will focus on theatre in Canada since 1967 and will include programs, posters, production photographs and stage designs from 14 companies coast-to-coast.  In the first year we're tackling 4 companies: Citadel Theatre (Edmonton), Neptune Theatre Halifax), Tarragon Theatre (Toronto) and Théâtre du Nouveau Monde (Montréal).  The database is scheduled to be up and running by March 31, 2002.

Due to IT limitations at the library we will only be able to offer an English interface the first year.  However, the library will be moving to new IT architecture in 2002 allowing us to employ more sophisticated database software and to offer a bilingual interface in Year 2.

Thank you to everyone who wrote or emailed in support of our application.  We couldn't have done it without you!  I'll keep you posted as the project progresses.

Lee Ramsay
Theatre Librarian
Performing Arts Centre
Toronto Reference Library