Fw: FEB 23 - COMMEDIA WORKSHOP

dkeith dkeith at SILK.NET
Fri Feb 15 20:14:08 EST 2002

FEB 23 - COMMEDIA WORKSHOP
----- Original Message -----
From: susan
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2002 9:06 AM
Subject: FEB 23 - COMMEDIA WORKSHOP

Please pass it on... very excellent PRICE, only happens this once... well, maybe ...

As part of !nstant Theatre Improv Festival 2002
!nstant Theatre Company is proud to host top-rate workshops at cut-rate prices.
Space is limited, stage experience preferred.

Saturday February 23rd from 1pm to 4pm
INTRODUCTION TO THE LIVELY ARTS: Commedia Dell'Arte
Instructor: Susan Bertoia

Please Note:
All events take place at the Roundhouse Performance Centre
(181 Roundhouse Mews / Davie @ Pacific)
 Reservations Call 604-874-7522

INTRODUCTION TO THE LIVELY ARTS: Commedia Dell'Arte
Workshop Leader:  Susan Bertoia
General Public: $30  Festival Pass Holders: $10

Background: COMMEDIA DELL'ARTE is the lively form of professional Italian mask theatre that flourished in 15thC Europe. Commedia dell'arte is an actors theatre.  It is exciting, challenging, physical, inspiring and part of the western actors heritage. Traditionally Commedia troupes relied on stereotypical characters, masks, broad gestures and clowning to play to large, diverse crowds and so from here we start our exploration.

Description: This interactive workshop is a great  introduction to the main stock characters Arlecchino, Columbina, Pantalone, Dottore, Capitano, the Young Lovers and Pulcinella. We take a contemporary approach through mask, movement, lazzi (physical comic business), improvisation working towards scenarios. This workshop is highly physical and fun and is open to all levels of experience. Dancers, visual artists, musicians, improvisers and actors will find this workshop of particular interest! Limit - 30 participants. (sorry, no audits)

Provided: an energetic, knowledgeable workshop leader, a fun interactive workshop, hand outs if desired, visuals and a live demonstration of the characters with costume and mask, an opportunity for some students to try on masks, a question and answer period.

Required: Comfortable clothes and shoes to be worn. Desire to move and have fun!

Workshop Leader: Susan Bertoia, professional theatre artist & teacher. For more on Susan Bertoia visit www.geocities.com/bellalunatheatre

http://www.instanttheatre.com/festival.html