Empress of Ireland

Denis Salter d.salter at VIDEOTRON.CA
Tue Jun 11 22:07:25 EDT 2002

Dear Colleagues,

Marion Kelch, writer and producer of the play Empress of Ireland, which was first staged by the Czar theatre Guild in Czar, Alberta, in February 1993, has asked me to circulate this letter.  The play was attended by many people who actually sailed to Canada on the ship.  Famed diver Philippe Beaudry came from Québec to attend the play.

Denis Salter

Empress of Ireland Artifacts:  Keep them in Canada!!!   June 10, 2002

 There is great interest in and protest of the impending sale of 401 artifacts and 600 archival items  to a collector in the United States.  All of these items were legally salvaged from the ³Empress of Ireland² or purchased from other collectors by diver Philippe Beaudry.

 The  Canadian Cultural Property Export Review Board has recently denied Mr. Beaudry¹s second application to export these items....for now.

 I have queried many museums across Canada to see if they would be interested in purchasing this collection for the Canadian appraised value of $1.5 million dollars.   The only museum which believed the collection would fall within its mandate was the Canadian National Museum of Science and Technology located in Ottawa. The question is whether this museum can afford to pay  $750,000. The Office of the Minister of Canadian Heritage has indicated that it will provide a  grant for the other half of the fair purchase price.   Mr. Beaudry has indicated he would be willing to take $750,000  over a five year period if the other half was paid immediately.

 At present, I believe negotiations are  being carried on between this museum and the Canadian Cultural Property Export Review Board.

 On June 8, I had the opportunity to meet with MP Anne McLellan at a function totally unrelated to this issue. Ms. McLellan is well aware of the situation and asked me ³What more do you want us to do?² A very good question.

 If negotiations go well and the purchase can be made,  Canadians will be getting out the  champagne.

 But what if the Canadian National Museum of Science and Technology cannot afford to pay all of $750,000?

 My answer is: ³Let Canadians be given the opportunity to help this museum purchase  the collection!² ( For example: 7,500 Canadians donating $100 each would complete the purchase.)

 Canadians will be outraged if discussions break down and it is suddenly announced that the Export Review Board will allow the collection to be exported before we are given the chance to help out. These Canadians represent a cross section of our society... professors, divers, historians, writers, artists, ranchers,teachers, collectors and authors to name just a few.

  A huge network of people continues to keep Canadians informed of the latest developments. We are grateful for the responses shown by the Rt. Hon. Joe Clark,  MP Anne McLellan, MP Bill Blaikie, MP Loyola Hearn, and  MP Kevin Sorenson.
We  remain determined to keep the artifacts in Canada!

Please send a letter, fax, or email to these people.  And please also get in touch with your MP.

Marion Kelch  < czardust at telusplanet.net>
Box 72, Czar, Alberta  TOB OZO   Phone (780) 857-2340