Encyclopedia News

Guillermo Verdecchia glv at INTERLOG.COM
Fri Oct 11 17:23:16 EDT 2002

Gaetan,

Thank you on behalf of Canadian theatre-makers and scholars and lovers
for all the work and energy you have put into this project. It has
become quite a valuable resource. That this labour of love can be passed
on to someone else speaks to the strength of the entire enterprise. And
when that someone else is Anne Nothof, then we know the future of the
project is just as exciting as its inception.

GLV

-----Original Message-----
From: Canadian Theatre Research [mailto:CANDRAMA at unb.ca] On Behalf Of
Gaetan Charlebois
Sent: October 10, 2002 5:50 PM
To: CANDRAMA at LISTSERV.UNB.CA
Subject: Encyclopedia News

Hello all

I am no in the process of doffing all of my responsibilities for the
encyclopedia and handing off things to Anne Nothof and the University of
Athabasca.

The simple explanation is that the work was becoming overwhealming, the
tasks increasingly thankless and the insults more frequent. (Even now I
am
in a war of e-mails with a bozo who doesn't like that I use "actor" for
all
of them - male and female.) Also, Canoe is trying to terminate its lease
contract with me which means that the massive site would have been an
orphan
so I would have been making updates to no avail until the project found
home.

Anne Nothof and I have had a magnificent working relationship almost
since
the site was created. She is directly responsible for keeping the
Alberta
section of the site current and interesting, she had contributed
reviews,
info and profiles at a steady pace since forever and I couldn't be more
confident about canadiantheatre.com's future if I handling it myself.

It's been a wonderful ride and most of you have been both a great help
and
great friends but for what is, for all intents and purposes, volunteer
work
the abuse about this or that profile or this or that turn of phrase was
just
too much.

So please: any help you might have provided me, please offer Anne and
her
people in the future. This is an important thing and it must continue.

Cheers and goodbye

Gaetan Charlebois (founding editor, The Encyclopedia of Canadian Theatre
on
the WWW; canadiantheatre.com)