CFP: Theatre and Memory (ACCUTE conference, 2003)

Karen Bamford kbamford at MTA.CA
Tue Oct 22 11:28:36 EDT 2002

ACCUTE Conference Member-Organized Session
May 28-31, 2003
Dalhousie University

THEATRE AND MEMORY

In the late twentieth century the work of many cultural theorists and
historians, such as Andreas Huyssen, Raphael Samuels, and Pierre Nora,
has drawn attention to the importance of memory in the construction of
identity, both individual and collective. As Stuart Hall observes,
"Identities are the names we give to the different ways we are
positioned by, and position ourselves in, the narratives of the past."
For the ACCUTE conference at Dalhousie University, in May 2003, papers are
invited which address any aspect of the relationship between theatre and
memory in the drama of any period. (Presenters must be members of ACCUTE at
the time of the conference.)

By November 15, 2002, please send three copies of papers (no longer
than 12 pages, double-spaced) or proposals (300-500 words), with 3
copies of a100-word abstract, a 50-word bio-bibliographical note, and
an email or disc copy to:

Karen Bamford
Dept. of English
Mount Allison University
63D York St.
Sackville, NB  E4L 1G9
kbamford at mta.ca
FAX: 506-364-2524

Proposals should clearly indicate the significance of the paper, the
line of argument, the principal texts the paper will speak to, and the
relation of the paper to existing scholarship on the topic. A list of
works cited should also be included.