Filewod Monograph

James Hoffman jhoffman at CARIBOO.BC.CA
Tue Oct 22 11:58:19 EDT 2002

A note in the recent ACTR Newsletter omitted (I'll take blame) the name of
the distinguished author as well as wrongly punctuated the title of a
monograph we published in our journal, so I'll grab this opportunity to
shamelessly re-plug this seminal work in Canadian performance studies--a
work we've had many requests for and has already been adopted as a text in
several classes. If you haven't heard yet, it's...

PERFORMING CANADA: THE NATION ENACTED IN THE IMAGINED THEATRE,
by Alan Filewod

120 pages, illus., ISBN 0-9681188-5-2

This is the first in a series of monographs "CRITICAL PERFORMANCE/S IN
CANADA" published by the journal TEXTUAL STUDIES IN CANADA (Spring 2002).
Filewod's introduction begins: "This book offers a radical rethinking of
the conceptual foundations of Canadian theatre and, by extension, the
Canadian nation which that theatre performs." This full-length,
well-illustrated work begins with a (re)consideration of The Theatre of
Neptune in New France (1606) in order to make the case that "all of
Canadian theatre, and the nation it stages, can be seen as a replaying of
The Theate of Neptune, a constant historical citation and recitation of the
postcolonial crisis of authenticity and displacement." There are major
discussions of patriotic and military mise en scene, Vincent Massey, the
Stratford Festival, the Mummers Troupe, Garth Drabinsky, and many others.
Copies are available at $12 each from the journal secretary Denise Comtois.
She can be contacted at: dcomtois at cariboo.bc.ca.

James Hoffman and Katherine Sutherland,
Editors, Textual Studies in Canada
monograph series

James Hoffman, Professor of Theatre
Dept. of Visual & Performing Arts
University College of the Cariboo
P.O. Box 3010, Kamloops, British Columbia
Canada, V2C 5N3
Voice 250-828-5315, Fax 250-371-5697
http://www.cariboo.bc.ca/ae/vpa/jhoffman/home.htm