Anosh Irani appointed Playwright in Residence

Sarah Simpson ssimpson at ARTSCLUB.COM
Tue Sep 14 14:10:30 EDT 2004

Anosh Irani has been appointed Playwright in Residence at the Arts Club
Theatre Company for the 2004-2005 season. The appointment has been made
possible by a generous grant from the Canada Council, and is effective
immediately.

As Playwright in Residence, Mr. Irani will build on the relationships he
began at the Arts Club last season with the development and premiere of his
debut play, The Matka King.  While in residence he will be developing two
new plays: Manja’s Circus (originally commissioned by the NAC), and Bombay
Talkie (commissioned by Nightswimming in Toronto).  A workshop and public
reading of one of these plays will be featured in the Arts Club's
January/February ReACT 2005: New Plays In Progress reading series.

Through a variety of projects in directing and dramaturgy Mr. Irani will be
active in the artistic life of the company working with Artistic Managing
Director Bill Millerd and Resident Dramaturg Rachel Ditor, as well as guest
directors.

Bill Millerd comments:  “I am thrilled to have a young playwright of the
calibre of Mr. Irani spending a year with our Company.  As the playwright is
the basis of what we do - Anosh will bring a fresh perspective to our work.”

Anosh Irani was born and raised in Bombay, India.  He moved to Vancouver in
1998.  His first play, The Matka King, was produced by the Arts Club Theatre
Company in October 2003.  The play will be published in the Fall 2004 issue
of the Canadian Theatre Review.  His first novel, The Cripple and His
Talismans, was published by Raincoast Books in Canada in April 2004.  It
will be published in the U.S. by Algonquin Books in Spring 2005, and this
Fall Mr. Irani is featured in writers festivals across the country including
the Vancouver International Writers Festival.  Mr. Irani is currently
working on two new plays, Manja’s Circus, (originally commissioned by the
National Arts Centre in Ottawa and now continuing its development at the
Arts Club Theatre Company) and Bombay Talkie (commissioned by Nightswimming,
Toronto).  His non-fiction has appeared in the Vancouver Sun and The Globe
and Mail.  Irani’s second novel, The Song of Kahunsha, will be published by
Raincoast Books in Spring 2006.

Media Contact:

Sarah Simpson
Communications Manager
Arts Club Theatre Company

TEL 604.687.5315 ext 244
FAX 604.687.3306
EMAIL ssimpson at artsclub.com
WEB www.artsclub.com
1585 Johnston Street
Vancouver, BC V6H 3R9

Visit the Arts Club online pressroom for updated information and photos!