Reading Week at Factory Theatre

Janet MacKenzie jmackenz at INTERLOG.COM
Wed Feb 16 10:14:14 EST 2005

At the end of this message I've pasted a press release from Factory Theatre in Toronto
about a series of readings there
this week. If you have any questions, please contact Factory, not me. I'm just forwarding
this for them.

Janet MacKenzie
_ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Factory Theatre Announces Expanded Reading Week Program

For Immediate Release:  February 09, 2005

Toronto: Bill Lane, Factory Theatre's Director of Play Development is pleased to announce
that the Theatre has expanded
its annual Reading Week program. Reading Week will run from Tuesday, February 15 to
Saturday, February 19, 2005 in
the Factory Theatre Studio. New play development is the heart and soul of Factory Theatre.
Current programs include the
Playwrights' Lab, The Paper Door, Round Table Readings, three playwrights-in-residence,
and of course, the exciting
CrossCurrents Festival.

"This year, we are presenting four new plays currently in development, a major translation
which is still awaiting its world
premiere, and a hot play from an Alberta playwright which has yet to find a Toronto
production,"
-- Bill Lane, Director of Play Development, Factory Theatre

Factory Theatre's Reading Week was introduced four years ago as a showcase for work in
development or under
consideration at Factory, a place where exciting test flights can be shared with the
Factory community. By offering these
readings later in the day, and by moving the reading series out of the rehearsal hall and
into the Studio, Factory Theatre
hopes to accommodate more guests from the greater community. The readings remain free of
charge, and seating is first
come, first served.

Tuesday February 15, 5:30 pm
KICKING THE CLOUDS by Sarah Sheard.
What if an old neighbor came for a visit -- and stayed? This is the first play from a
celebrated Toronto fiction writer, in a
reading featuring Factory veterans David Bolt and Nancy Beatty.
Directed by Bill Lane

Wednesday February 16, 5:30 pm
MIDLIFE.
Eugene Stickland's wicked comedy about middle age madness features Ron White as a
businessman who can't seem to
resist either a good game of golf or a few rounds of adultery.
Directed by Bill Lane

Thursday February 17, 5:30 pm
THE ART OF TEARS by Andrew Moodie.
A vibrant comedy of manners about the film industry that is also a moral fable about
staying true to your own ideals,
even when the rewards for selling out are shockingly high.
Directed by Andrew Moodie

Friday February 18, 5:30 pm
GULAG AMERICA by Ken Gass.
In the early days of the AIDS epidemic, it somehow seemed reasonable to lock up the sick
ones in a place where all they
could do was to tear each other apart. How does the human race live with itself, really?
Directed by Jen Capraru

Saturday February 19, 3 pm
TIDELINE by Wajdi Mouawad, translated by Shelley Tepperman.
A strange, haunting, epic journey through the wasteland after a great war, in search of
life and meaning. The original
French text was a winner of the Governor General's Award for 2000.
Directed by Bill Lane

Saturday February 19, 7 pm
YAHRZEIT by Alex Poch-Goldin. Some memories we remember, others we create. It depends on
how we feel. An unusual
comedy about family and the world.
Directed by Richard Greenblatt

-30-

Established in 1970 by current and founding Artistic Director Ken Gass, Factory Theatre
was the first company in the
nation to devote itself exclusively to producing Canadian plays, The astonishing success
of the Factory has indelibly
changed the face of theatre in this country, as indigenous plays are now produced coast to
coast. Three and a half
decades later, the Factory continues to explore new play development models, while
producing a full season of Canadian
plays and maintaining a facility that also serves a host of independent artists and
companies. With support from all levels
of government, numerous foundations and corporations as well as many generous individuals,
Factory is truly a home for
Canadian theatre and the Canadian playwright.

For more information on Reading Week and Play Development at the Factory Theatre please
visit www.factorytheatre.ca
or contact Bonnie Mouck, Marketing and Development Manager at 416-504-4473 Ext. 223