ACTR Lawrence prize 2006

Glen Nichols nicholsg at UMONCTON.CA
Wed Aug 16 15:11:04 EDT 2006

ACTR LawrencePrize 2006

On behalf of the ACTR executive I have the great privilege of announcing this year’s recipient of the Robert G. Lawrence Prize which is awarded each year to an outstanding presentation given at the association conference by an emerging scholar. This year’s recipient is Barry Freeman for his paper entitled, “Interculturalism in the Prague-Toronto-Manitoulin Theatre Project (PTMTP)”.  The adjudication committee noted that Freeman’s paper represented original and sophisticated thinking on a current and important theatrical concern. It was stimulating and well-crafted on all levels. And because it is an ongoing project the presentation opened avenues to future work.

For the first time, the committee also wanted to make honourable mention of two other papers: one by Kirsty Johnston: “West End Beauty and East End Ugly: Locating Disability Theatre in Urban Space” and the other by Nicholas Hanson: “Puppet Protest: The Relationship between Theatre Criticism and Political/Theatrical Events.” Johnston’s paper was a very rich and well researched, comparing to different approaches to disability and theatre. It was very clear and well presented. Hanson presented a logical, coherent and clear problem-solving approach to some very contemporary work. The paper asks large questions of the role of criticism in political theatre. This original and interesting was lively and well structured.

I would like to thank the other members of the adjudication committee, Tanya d’Angers and Cynthia Zimmerman for their splendid work sorting out such a strong field of many excellent candidates. It was a difficult job this year. The competition was very stiff this year and all 18 (!) candidates offered interesting and valuable papers. I'd like to extend the committee's appreciation to all of you for your fine work and our hope that we will have the pleasure of hearing and reading your work in the future.

On behalf of the Association, I’d also like to extend heartfelt appreciation to Mrs Lawrence for her generosity in creating and maintaining this award year after year in memory of her husband Robert, a long-time member of ACTR.

Glen Nichols, ACTR president
Département d'anglais
Université de Moncton
Moncton, N.-B.   E1A 3E9
Tél: (506) 863-2017; Fax: (506) 858-4166