[Didaskalia] Call for Papers: The Mask

Kirsty Johnston kirstyj at INTERCHANGE.UBC.CA
Fri Aug 25 17:48:39 EDT 2006

Didaskalia's  interest in interdisciplinary approaches may be of
particular interest to CANDRAMA subscribers.

 From: Hugh Denard <Hugh.Denard at kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:06:13 AM America/Vancouver
To: didaskalia at linnet.cch.kcl.ac.uk
Subject: [Didaskalia] Call for Papers: The Mask

Call For Papers: The Mask

Didaskalia, an electronic journal and resource dedicated to the study of
ancient Greek and Roman drama in performance (www.didaskalia.net), is
looking for papers and discussions of the Mask as it relates to Classics
and the theatre, for a thematic issue to appear in 2007.

The mask was a defining feature of ancient stage performance, and yet
how it functioned continues to mystify. We are looking for discussions
from academics and theatre practitioners to explore how the mask creates
meaning and changes experience on the stage. All approaches are welcome,
but we are particularly keen for interdisciplinary discussions (from
psychology, Asian studies, anthropology, etc.) and for practical
discussions of the effect of masks on actors and audience: anything that
can cast light on the mask and its function in antiquity.

As an electronic resource, Didaskalia has no specific limits in terms of
length, and multimedia submissions are encouraged, which take advantage
of this electronic format. Electronic submissions and requests for
further information should be addressed to C. W. Marshall, Classical,
Near Eastern, and Religious Studies, University of British Columbia
(toph at interchange.ubc.ca), ideally before December 1, 2006. All
submissions will be peer reviewed.