Events in South Asian Theatre - Toronto

SL Jones dramalists at YAHOO.CA
Wed Feb 8 23:10:44 EST 2006

Rasik Arts' FEBRUARY ROUNDTABLE is on this coming Sunday, Feb 12. We'll be reading and discussing the 7th century Sanskrit romantic comedy, "Ratnavali" (as translated by P. Lal). We'll start at 2:30 in the groundfloor party room of 75 Dalhousie St. (immediately East of Church St., and South off Dundas St.). Everyone is welcome, and there is no admission charge.

  On Sunday, March 5, Rasik Arts presents a Staged Reading of South African Indian playwright Dinesh Narandas' "Inmates" in the Palmerston Library Theatre at 2:30pm. Directed by Ishwar Mooljee, featuring Adeel Ahmad, Gita Ramchandani, nisha ahuja, and Charles-Henry Joseph, "Inmates" highlights the tensions between middle-class Indians and working-class Blacks lurking beneath the larger racial problems of South Africa and within the microcosm of the personal psyche. Special guest Temple Hauptfleish, former Head of the Centre for South African Theatre Research in Pretoria, currently Director of Theatre and Performance Studies at the University of Stellenbosch, will be present to offer commentary and lead a Question and Answer period. Admission is $10; $8 for Rasik Arts Members. For more info, call us at 416-654-9231.