Clement May[Scanned]

Freund Peter pfreund at HERMAJ.COM
Wed Feb 8 17:34:03 EST 2006

Thanks Kathy

I had found those online references. The Gary campbell reference is to a
feature article on May writrten by him and published in The Daily
Colonist in 1961 - I do have a copy of that from a collection of May's
clipings and programs sent to the Mitchell Library in Sydney by Chad
Evans - I'm not sure how that came about.

As to his death - his death would have been registered as Sydney Devine,
but it's possible that he returned to Australia not long before his
death.

I am hoping to find some other references to his touring activities, and
other speaking engagements etc

Peter Freund
Her Majesty's Theatre
P O Box 249
BALLARAT 3353
AUSTRALIA
Ph: 613 5333 5800
Fax: 613 5333 5757
Web: www.hermaj.com

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Canadian Theatre Reserach
[mailto:CANDRAMA at LISTSERV.UNB.CA] On Behalf Of Kathy K.Y. Chung
	Sent: Wednesday, 8 February 2006 4:04 PM
	To: CANDRAMA at LISTSERV.UNB.CA
	Subject: Re: Clement May[Scanned]

	Hello Peter,

	An interesting question . . . You probably have these already? .
. .

	Two articles (no photos, alas) from the Ubyssey, the University
of British Columbia campus newspaper, mention Clement May being in
Vancouver on 10 March 1944, giving a performance and a lecture on
campus.

	(1)
http://www.library.ubc.ca/archives/pdfs/ubyssey/UBYSSEY_1944_03_10.pdf

	(2)
http://www.library.ubc.ca/archives/pdfs/ubyssey/UBYSSEY_1944_03_03.pdf

	If he was at UBC on 10 March 1944, he might also have been
giving other performances in Vancouver at the time and might have been
written up in the city newspapers, perhaps with a photo?  Likewise, have
you tried any of the Victoria or Vancouver newspapers of the time?  I
think they are indexed.

	(3)  A lecture Clement May gave to the Empire Club in Toronto on
5 Dec 1935:

http://www.empireclubfoundation.com/details.asp?SpeechID=1316&FT=yes

	(4)  There is an item (#1.37, Series 3: Articles)  in the Gary
Campbell fonds in the University of Victoria Special Collections titled
"Clement May"
	http://gateway.uvic.ca/spcoll/Lit/Eng/Campbell.html#Series%201

	(5)  When you say May was "based at Victoria, BC from 1945 until
his death in 1964" does that imply Clement May died in Victoria or
British Columbia in 1964? because, I searched the Vital Records/Death
Records in the on-line BC Archives and came up with only 6 persons with
last name "May" who died in 1964 and none of them are named Clement.

	-- Kathy.