Performance Studies at the University of Calgary

Penny Farfan farfan at UCALGARY.CA
Wed Jan 25 22:36:17 EST 2006

The University of Calgary's new graduate program in Performance Studies
is the first Performance Studies program in anglophone Canada.

We will admit our first class in September 2006; application deadline is
15 February 2006. Application information is available at
www.ucalgary.ca/performancestudies/process.htm.

At the University of Calgary, we understand performance studies along
three main lines: Performance Studies is concerned with forms and areas
of performance not typically accommodated within the field of Theatre
Studies; Performance Studies is committed to using performance as a lens
through which to view objects, events, and behaviors that are not
generally understood in theatrical or dramaturgical terms; and
Performance Studies is understood epistemologically as an embodied means
of knowledge generation and representation.

We are a multi-disciplinary program granting both MA and PhD degrees in
Performance Studies. The Executive Committee includes faculty from seven
academic departments as well as program affiliates from an even broader
range of disciplines. Executive Committee members are Susan Bennett
(English); Doug Brown (Kinesiology); Anne Flynn (Dance and Kinesiology);
Penny Farfan (Drama and English); Mary Polito (English); Kirsten Pullen
(English); Brian Rusted (Communication and Culture); Gavin Semple
(Drama); Florentine Strzelczyk (German, Slavic & East Asian Studies);
and Paul Woodrow (Art). Further information about the executive
committee and a list of program affiliates is available here:
www.ucalgary.ca/performancestudies/exec.htm.

Funding (in the form of internal and external awards, Graduate Teaching
Assistantships and Graduate Research Stipends) is available to qualified
candidates. More information about funding is available here:
www.ucalgary.ca/performancestudies/funding.htm.

If you have questions about the program or the application process,
please visit our website at www.ucalgary.ca/performancestudies or email
us at performance.studies at ucalgary.ca.

Dr. Kirsten Pullen
Assistant Professor, Department of English
University of Calgary
2500 University Drive NW
Calgary, AB
T2N 1N4