Women Playwrights International call for submissions

hope mcintyre raregem3 at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 26 10:38:29 EST 2006

Please circulate and post as appropriate.

Women Playwrights International Conference 2006
“Cultural Liberty in a Diverse World”

The 2006 Women Playwrights International Conference will be taking place
November 5-10th, 2006 (Jakarta) and November 11-12th, 2006 (Bali).  Margaret
Hollingsworth and Hope McIntyre are the country co-representatives for
Canada and as such have been asked by the conference organizers to submit
the Canadian playwrights who will be sharing their work as part of the
conference.  Of course the conference is open for anyone to attend, but we
will be coordinating the Canadians who will participate in panels and
workshops at the conference.  We have begun exploring possible funding
sources and would be willing to seek funding through official bodies for
those who are chosen to participate.  Please understand that at this point
we have no guaranteed funding and each individual would be expected to also
seek her own funding in addition to the work we will be doing for the whole
delegation.  We would ask all those interested to submit a letter to us
stating if you are interested in participating in panels, or conducting a
workshop and outlining what you feel you have to contribute to the daily
themes or overall theme of the conference.  Please also let us know if you
have acting ability (delegates often act as readers for other playwrights at
the conference), and include a CV, 150-word bio and a sample of your work.
The full conference agenda, as well as a conference description from Ratna
Sarumpaet (the Conference Chair) is available on-line at:
www.playwrightsguild.com/pgc/pdfs/pgc_womenscaucus.pdf .

The Main Theme of the Conference: “Cultural Liberty in a Diverse World”

Daily Themes:
“Identity, Community and the Role of Diversity”
“Language, Culture and Structure”
“Dramatic/Performance text, Cultural Context and Intertextual Practices”
“Stage, State and Ideology”
“Freedom, Human Rights, and Power”

This is the 7th Women Playwrights International Conference with past
conferences having taken place in all over the world.  Most recently the
2003 conference was held in Manila (Philippines).  The event brings together
women playwrights from all over the globe to share their work, discuss their
craft, network and experience theatre from an entirely new cultural
perspective.

Letters of interest and any questions can be directed to:

Hope McIntyre
Women’s Caucus Chair
Playwrights Guild of Canada
242 Cathedral Avenue