Fw: Petition to support youth in arts

Leslie Barcza leslie.barcza at UTORONTO.CA
Thu Jun 1 11:38:43 EDT 2006

I want to make sure I understand before I call you out on this Alan (and
make a fool of myself in front of the entire listserv).

I think what you say would be true if one could ever imagine dance or piano
lessons being part of the school curriculum...but it was always peripheral
(as far back as school curricula in the 60s and 70s). Yes the principle you
speak of is true; the direction of this petition is something else, as far
as I can tell.

Yes it's true that arts education --drama in high school for instance--seems
to be the first thing cut when times are tough; but that's not relevant in
this case.  The money from such a credit might help the rich but it could
just as easily help a poor single mother who can't afford the "luxury" of
sending a child to dance or singing or trumpet or guitar lessons: a normal
part of life in the rich communities of this country.

And it would certainly help put money in the pockets of the teachers
(speaking of poor people).

Leslie