Fw: Petition to support youth in arts

Alan Filewod afilewod at UOGUELPH.CA
Thu Jun 1 12:39:42 EDT 2006

Yes, well, this is a contentious issue in whatever sphere it arsises.
My point is simply that tax credits offer no benefit, especially to
low income families. They mask cuts to essential services, and there
is no evidence that tax credit schemes generate economic activity
(that's the discredited  "trickle-down" theory of Reaganomics). The
low income single mother will find that any tax credit she receives
will cover only a fraction of her actual cost. This is the problem
with the childcare credit scheme as well. The net result is that
lower income families will have to pay more for services.

An activist in my community has addressed this issue of the arts
credit petition on his blog. II think it's worth a look:
http://philallt.ca/
cheers
Alan