[Fwd: AFRICANADIAN PLAYWRIGHTS' FESTIVAL - CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS]

Luella Massey l.massey at UTORONTO.CA
Wed May 3 17:45:30 EDT 2006

PLEASE FORWARD, POST AND DISTRIBUTE THIS EMAIL! (Our apologies if you've
already received this information.)

For Immediate Release

 April 29, 2006

*AFRICANADIAN PLAYWRIGHTS' FESTIVAL *

*4^TH EDITION*

*CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS***

Artistic Director Djanet Sears is pleased to announce that the
AfriCanadian Playwrights' Festival is currently accepting submissions
for its upcoming week long celebration, scheduled to take place *August
21 - 27, 2006*. The AfriCanadian Playwrights' Festival will be presented
by CanStage in association with University College: University of Toronto.

This tri-annual gathering will feature a remarkable range of events
including Showcase Workshop Productions, staged readings, script
readings, a conference component, and our legendary Playwrights Guild
sponsored Salon Luncheons, where writers give voice to their own work,
accompanied by a sumptuous mid-day feast.  In all, the festival will
involve the most substantial gathering of Black theatre practitioners
and African Canadian theatre scholars nationwide.

Inspired by August Wilson's groundbreaking speech, "The Ground on Which
I Stand," the first AfriCanadian Playwright's Festival in 1997 gathered
nearly 50 Canadian playwrights of African decent for a celebration of
Black playwriting in Canada. The festival included a Keynote Session
with Ricardo Khan: Crossroads Theatre: USA; Yvonne Brewster: Talawa
Theatre: UK; and George Elliot Clarke: Playwright, Poet, and Professor:
Canada. There was a week long playreading series, as well as panel
discussions and a celebratory evening where all of the nearly 50
playwrights in attendance read a brief excerpt from one of their works
for the stage. The millennium edition of the AfriCanadian Playwrights'
Festival was much larger in scope and featured a keynote dialogue with
noted Canadian born, Tony Award winning director, Lloyd Richards and
Nobel laureate Derek Walcott.  The millennium edition also saw the
addition of Workshop Productions which showcased a number of new works
in the later stages of development by presenting them with production
elements (set, costumes and lights).  Moreover, Playwrights Canada Press
published:  _Testifyin':  Contemporary African Canadian Drama, Vol. _I,
an anthology of Black Canadian plays, the first collection of its kinds
in this country.  The 3^rd edition of the festival in 2003, (our most
successful to date) showcased and presented the work of more African
Canadian playwrights and theatre practitioners than ever before. The
festival also endeavoured to broaden the spectrum of African Canadian
playwrighting and theatre in the Canadian cultural studies arena with
the addition of a conference component and the publication of volume II
of _Testifyin':  Contemporary African Canadian Drama_.

While the vision for the upcoming festival continues to grow, our
primary objectives remain the same: *The celebration, examination,
encouragement, development, promotion and presentation of African
Canadian playwrights and their plays*.

The *deadline* for all submissions is *Monday June 5, 2006, at 5:00pm*.
Playwrights interested in submitting their work for consideration should
note the following submission guidelines:

·          Submission packages should include:

o         One unbound copy of the play or work-in-progress

o         A bio and/or resume

o         A coving letter which includes a brief synopsis of your
submission and contact information (your name, address, email and
telephone numbers, etc.)

·          Submissions should be mailed to:

o         Play Group, AfriCanadian Playwrights' Festival,

        54 Wolseley St., 2^nd Floor, Toronto, ON, M5T 1A5

If you have any questions, please contact the AfriCanadian Playwrights'
Festival at (416) 367.8243 X305, or email us at
festival at africanadian.com <mailto:festival at africanadian.com> .