2006 Siminovitch Prize

Denis Salter denis.salter at MCGILL.CA
Wed May 3 17:51:56 EDT 2006

2006 Siminovitch Prize in Theatre

Dear Friend of Canadian Theatre:

I am pleased to announce that the call for nominations for the 2006 Elinore & Lou Siminovitch Prize in Theatre is now open. With this year marking the end of our second cycle for the largest theatre award in Canada, we are thrilled once again to turn the spotlight on to Canadian designers. On October 24th, we will honour either a lighting, costume, set, or sound designer with the $100,000 prize, one quarter of which is given to a protégé chosen by the recipient.

The Siminovitch Prize is honoured to announce a jury whose experience in the theatre is extremely diverse and whose contribution to the theatre arts in Canada is highly creative and uniquely personal. The jury is comprised of Luc Boulanger, author and well-known journalist in
Montreal's media community; Mary Kerr, a distinguished production designer whose work has been seen on stages across Canada and throughout the world; Diana Leblanc, an actress and director who has received acclaim in French and English throughout the country; and Keith Turnbull, a director, dramaturge and producer committed to contemporary and new work in both theatre and opera.

The Siminovitch Prize in Theatre honours professional directors, playwrights and designers in three year cycles by recognizing excellence and encouraging further exploration in Canadian theatre. In 2006, the prize will be given to a designer who advances Canadian theatre through a body of work achieved in recent years, while influencing and inspiring younger theatre artists.  It should be noted that the Siminovitch Prize is neither a life-time achievement nor an emerging artist award. It is meant for an artist who is at a point in his or her professional career where the recognition and resources associated with the prize will make a significant difference, allowing and encouraging the artist to go further in the pursuit of his or her craft.

Enclosed you will find information about the Siminovitch Prize, past recipients, and a nomination form. You can also learn more by visiting the website: www.siminovitchprize.com. The deadline for nominations is June 14, 2006.

On behalf of the Founders' Committee and all involved with the prize, thank you for your participation and for helping us recognize and celebrate excellence in Canadian theatre.

Sincerely,

Leonard McHardy

Jury Chair

"When a people forget a language, they forfeit the heart of who they
are and the ability to comprehend the stories that are central to their
cultural, spiritual and emotional health."--Keren Rice.
"That's what hybrids were invented for: survival in changing ecologies."--Lisa Doolittle
"To celebrate this award, and the work it recognizes of those around the world, let me recall the words of Gandhi: 'My life is my message.' Also, plant a tree."  Wangari Maathai, winner of the 2004 Nobel Prize for Peace.

Denis Salter
Professor of Theatre
McGill University
853 Sherbrooke St. West