The death of Patrick O'Neill

Anton Wagner awagner at YORKU.CA
Sun May 7 20:40:28 EDT 2006

I too am shocked and saddened by Patrick's death and am sending condolences to
Dianne.

In November of 2003, I had the opportunity of writing the following supporting
letter for Patrick's Fulbright scholarship application. I will be dedicating my
May 27 ACTR presentation, "Canada's Cultural Revolution: Creating the Perfect
City," to Patrick's memory.

The Canada-U.S. Fulbright Program
350 Albert Street, Suite 2015
Ottawa, Ontario K1R 1A4

Re: Patrick B. O’Neill

Dear Adjudication Committee:

I have known Patrick O’Neill for over 25 years since I was the founding
secretary of the Association for Canadian Theatre History in 1976. Patrick was
first elected onto the executive of the ACTH (subsequently the Association for
Canadian Theatre Research) in 1978. He presented many of his research papers at
the annual Learned Societies meetings of the ACTH/ACTR. The papers were
invariably meticulously researched, based on solid bibliographic, historical
and archival research, and shed new light on previously unknown or little known
aspects of Canadian cultural history.

I had the opportunity of working with Patrick when we were both associate
editors of the Bibliography of Theatre History in Canada: The Beginnings
Through 1984 (Toronto: ECW Press, 1993). He is well known and respected for the
accuracy of his bibliographic data. I again worked with Patrick on a
Canada-wide, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council funded history of
theatre criticism in Canada that I organized and edited for publication
(Establishing Our Boundaries: English Canadian Theatre Criticism. Anton Wagner,
ed. University of Toronto Press, 1999). Patrick contributed the 31-page chapter
“From Puffery to Criticism—-William Lyon Mackenzie, Joseph Howe, and Daniel
Morrison: Theatre Criticism in Halifax and Toronto, 1826-1857.” His careful
examination of newspapers on microfilm, distilling data and then cross checking
facts with other published sources, playbills, diaries and other archival
materials allowed him to write an illuminating chapter contrasting cultural
developments in the two cities.

Patrick is one of the few senior scholars in Canadian theatre studies who takes
the extensive time and energy required for original archival research. Whether
examining volumes of copyright records or large collections of sheet music and
playbills, Patrick has the genuine interest and research skills to synthesize
quantities of data and draw insightful conclusions from them. He is well
organized, generous in sharing his accumulated research with others, has a good
sense of humour and works well with colleagues.

I find Patrick’s proposal for his Fulbright research program to be a logical and
fruitful extension of his previous archival theatre research in Canada. The
question of the influence of American actors and touring companies on Canadian
cultural developments has always been of great interest. But this topic
requires extensive archival research and the careful examination of economic,
social, political, artistic and other cultural factors. This has not been done
in the comprehensive manner Patrick O’Neill outlines in his application. I am
not aware of anyone else in the field who would provide more reliable and
informative conclusions from the American theatre collections to be examined.

I hope the Canada-U.S. Fulbright Program will be able to support Patrick
O’Neill’s research application and very much look forward to the results of the
research Patrick will be able to present to other Canadian and American scholars
with the assistance of the Fulbright Program.