Responding to the Honourable Jim Flaherty, Minister of Finance

Tibor Egervari egervari at UOTTAWA.CA
Thu Nov 30 15:25:32 EST 2006

Dear Dr. Kirkley

Since, without wanting to impose your political perspective on us, you
have shared your views with the list, I feel compelled to ask you a few
questions.

 1)     Why do you think that spending money earned by your fellow
citizens is better employed according to your choices rather than to
their own?

2)     Have you thought that those citizens might spend those extra
dollars to go to the theatre that became more and more expensive in
spite of subsidies? (Remember, the original purpose of subsidies was to
allow for more, less wealthy people to attend. Nowadays, a normal ticket
price in any legitimate theatre in the country is almost a day's salary
at minimum wage.)

3)     Has it occurred to you that today's children will become
tomorrow's "individuals making very poor consumer choices"?

4)     Finally, don't you think that the vast majority of parents do
care for their children and are quite capable of making responsible
choices regarding their future?

Yours truly,

Tibor Egervari
Professor emeritus