Responding to the Honourable Jim Flaherty, Minister of Finance

Bruce Kirkley Bruce.Kirkley at UCFV.CA
Thu Nov 30 16:15:06 EST 2006

Dear Tibor:

Clearly we see things differently. But to answer your questions:

 1)     Why do you think that spending money earned by your fellow
citizens is better employed according to your choices rather than to
their own?

Not MY choices, but rather collaboratively and consensually determined
national objectives.

2)     Have you thought that those citizens might spend those extra
dollars to go to the theatre that became more and more expensive in
spite of subsidies? (Remember, the original purpose of subsidies was to

allow for more, less wealthy people to attend. Nowadays, a normal
ticket
price in any legitimate theatre in the country is almost a day's salary

at minimum wage.)

I doubt the vast majority of Canadians will be spending their extra
dollars at the theatre. They'll be needing them to pay for increased
user fees and privatized health care. And I disagree completely that the
original purpose of subsidies was simply to allow for less wealthy
people to attend. Their primary purpose was (and is) to nurture and
develop creativity and culture in this country.

3)     Has it occurred to you that today's children will become
tomorrow's "individuals making very poor consumer choices"?

Um - yes. Which seems to me to be a powerful reason for setting
directions that will enable them to make wise consumer choices (such as,
for example, supporting the growth of a nation).

4)     Finally, don't you think that the vast majority of parents do
care for their children and are quite capable of making responsible
choices regarding their future?

Yes, of course they do. But that's a red herring. And you know it.

Respectfully,
Bruce

Dr. Bruce Kirkley
Theatre Department