Let's start a flame-war between academics [was Re: Responding to the Honourable Jim Flaherty, Minister of Finance]

Peter D. Smith psmith at NBNET.NB.CA
Thu Nov 30 20:38:31 EST 2006

For anyone following this thread:

I have always been of the opinion that academics [as a class, not
necessarily addressing individuals] have the ability and the means to
declaim, expound, decry, and criticize real life, without any danger to
themselves or their own activities (unless they are *mere* Assistant
Professors, or lesser beings).

<disclaimer:  both of my parents are academics, and many of my friends, not
that their status allows me to trust them, or their opinions...>

So it appears that Bruce & Tibor have agreed to disagree.  Wonderful.

Some of the sniping, however, is causing me to respond.

Tibor - YES the mandate and tasks of the CCA are laudable, but they are (50
years later) somewhat flawed.  Having spent 25 years of my life [in the
Real World] of producing theatre, I more than appreciate what this has
meant to Canadian playwrights, artists (in all forms), technical staff, and
audiences.  The mission to support creation is wonderful.  Now I have spent
another 13 years of my life in the 'presenting' world, as well as on
various funding bodies, blah blah, and have noticed the lack of support for
the *dissemination* of work (in all disciplines).  This has been somewhat
ameliorated through the "Tomorrow Starts Today" program, but not in nearly
an effective enough manner.

Bruce - thank you for bringing your concerns forward; whether or not I
agree with you is immaterial.

Bruce & Tibor - I must disagree with you both about parents making
responsible choices for their offspring - nothing that i have seen in my
own history, nor anything over a longer timeline has indicated to me that
they will do so; rather - parents as a group tend to be influenced by all
the usual suspects, including "peer" group of other parents, and most
especially mass media.  When speaking to parents, one-on-one, they react
very positively to potential exposure to the arts (even though we are
speaking about live theatre here), but it takes that personal touch and/or
the realization that something more is needed.  Many parents have told me
(both in producing mode and in presenting mode) that they *would* have
encouraged/supported/paid for their children to participate.... here comes
the kicker... "if they had only known".

What do others think - those that are 'in the trenches' - actually making
their [meager] living by doing Canadian theatre (or theatre in Canada, I'm
not a countryist)?

Sorry to fling dead mackerel at academics, but it does need to be done from
time to time.  Whether this instance is justified ... remains to be determined.

Thanks for listening

Peter D. Smith
Saint John, NB