Anthologies

Craig Walker walkerc at POST.QUEENSU.CA
Fri Oct 20 12:52:21 EDT 2006

Hello everybody,

I realize that, coming from someone who has a vested interest in this
matter, my advice will be, quite rightly, regarded with
scepticism.  But, in all humility, may I suggest that those who share
Doug Buchanan's complaints have a look at the two volume Broadview
Anthology of Drama?  I say this because Jennifer Wise and I set out,
in creating that anthology, to remedy just such problems as
these---too few Canadian plays, too few 18th C works, too few
comedies, too few plays by women, too large a book for students to
want to bring to class, and so on--- because we were experiencing
them ourselves in our own classrooms.  What we had in mind was an
anthology that would meet most of our needs and answer most of our
complaints and yet would be cheap enough that we could, with
impunity, ask students to buy an extra play or two to fulfil our
course needs.  Of course, I am not suggesting that the Broadview will
meet everyone's needs or tastes, by any means, and there are
undoubtedly reasons some people will prefer one of the many other
excellent anthologies out there, but some people have  said that they
found it helpful, and that has been very gratifying to Jennifer and myself.

Craig Walker

At 10:23 AM 20-10-06, you wrote:
>I also use the (now) Wadsworth Anthology although it has some very real
>problems. It is weak on Canadian material - both in quantity and choices,
>but it also poorly represents Restoration and Roman comedy is nowhere to be
>found along with it's source: Menander. While I realize that VERY few good
>plays were written between 1700 and 1879, surely one (Sherdidan?, Gay?)
>could be included. However, it's the best I've found.
>
>Dr. D. Buchanan
>Dawson College
>
>Festina Tarde

Professor and Acting Head