FW: The Mercurian: A Theatrical Translation Review

Leanore Lieblein leanore.lieblein at MCGILL.CA
Mon Oct 30 16:59:07 EST 2006

Dear Colleagues,
This may be of interest to some of you.

Leanore Lieblein Past Professor of English
McGill University

As many of you know, I have been batting around the idea of creating a
journal dedicated to theatrical translation for a couple of  years now.
  After much cogitation, I have decided to launch the first The
Mercurian initially in a kind of newletter format, that I will send
out electronically as a .pdf to all who "subscribe", and see where it
takes  us, which may be a print journal further on down the road.

The Mercurian: A Theatrical Translation Review

The Mercurian is named for Mercury who, if he had known it, was/is  the
  patron god of theatrical translators, those intrepid souls possessed
of  eloquence, feats of skill, messengers not between the gods but
between cultures, traders in images, nimble and dexterous linguistic
thieves.

Like the metal mercury, theatrical translators are capable of
absorbing  other metals, forming amalgams.  As in ancient chemistry,
the  mercurian is one of the five elementary "principles" of which all
material substances  are compounded, otherwise known as "spirit".  The
theatrical
translator is sprightly, lively, potentially volatile, sometimes
inconstant, witty,  an ideal guide or conductor on the road.

The Mercurian is, in part, an attempt to replace the now defunct
Modern  International Drama by publishing translations of plays and
performance  pieces.  More importantly, The Mercurian welcomes
theoretical pieces  about theatrical translation; rants, manifestos,
and position papers pertaining to translation for the theatre; as well
as production histories of  theatrical translations.  Submissions to
the first issue should be sent to me :

Adam Versenyi at <anversen at email.unc.edu> or by snail mail:

Adam Versenyi,

Department of Dramatic Art, CB# 3230,
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill,
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3230.

Deadline is  February  28, 2007, with the first issue due to appear
shortly after that in  the new  year.

For translations of plays or performance pieces, unless the  material
is in the public domain, please send proof of permission to  translate
from the playwright or original creator of the piece.

Best wishes, Adam