Critical edition of Mascarene's "Misanthrope"

BOURASSA ANDRE G bourassa.andre_g at UQAM.CA
Thu Jan 25 22:17:27 EST 2007

Bonjour,
I should finish in april the critical edition of Paul Mascarene's 1743/44
translation of "Le Misanthrope" that I was preparing with Patrick O'Neill.
He had finished, before he died, his part of the introduction and finished
the decyphering and transcription of the folios.
But I have ohe minor problem. One folio has never been found in the
British Museum, where Mascarene's papers were at first, and at the British
Library where they are now. Unfortunately, it includes the famnous scene
of the sonnet. I suppose Mascarene was often asked to recite it. Since we
had decided to place, alongside the English trabslation, the 1741
Netherland edition of the French original, I may simply fill the blanks
with Madcarene's frriend watercolour view of Annapolis Royal as it looked
in those days. But I may also use part of an Enclish version of that time,
but which one? Which was the first English version played in Noth America
after Mascarene's one? And where can I find a copy?
For those qho wouldn't know about Mascarene, he was a British officer of
French huguenot origin named governor of Nova Scotia. He signed treaties
for the king of England with the Indians and the Adadians. Accused of
being too mild with the Acadians, he was replaced by Cornwallis, and his
treaty rejected. He then  quit Fort Anne/ Annapolis Royal and retired in
Boston, where his family has stayed.
Best regards,
André G. Bourassa
professeur associé, Éçcole supérieure de théâtre, UQÀM;
président, Société québécoise d'études théâtrales.

P.S.: By the way, Patrick O'Neill is still on Candrama list. Ethernet,
linked to heaven, instead of internet, I guess.