MA in THEATRE, OTTAWA

yana meerzon ymeerzon at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 15 11:05:51 EST 2007

Master of Arts (MA) in Theatre, Theatre Theory and Dramaturgy
As of September 2008, the Department of Theatre will offer a two-year (with MA thesis) Master of Arts (MA) program in Theatre Theory and Dramaturgy.
This new program permits students to develop and perfect their interpretative, critical and scholarly skills, as well as spark the intellectual curiosity required for doctoral studies.
By expanding the MA students’ academic scope with respect to the epistemological and interdisciplinary specificities of theatre as an art form and as a discipline of study, the program prepares graduates to follow doctoral programs offered by Canadian universities and abroad.
In addition, upon completion of this program MA graduates may chose to work as theatrical archivists, literary advisors, dramaturges in theatrical practice, or as teachers in community colleges or CÉGEPs.
We recognize the pedagogical, academic and practical benefits of interaction between theatre practitioners and theoreticians, both in the classroom and in the rehearsal hall.
The existence of two graduate programs (MA in Theatre Theory and Dramaturgy and MFA in Directing) in the Department of Theatre creates a unique learning environment within the only graduate program in theatre in Canada’s capital.
The Graduate Program in Theatre also allows the Department to promote various forms of exchange between the local theatre community and the Department’s teaching personnel and students.
MA students have a unique opportunity to interact with the graduate candidates enrolled in the Master of Fine Arts (MFA). Students in the two programs share seminars: Dramaturgy and Theory of Performance and collaborate on a number of academic and practical projects.
Taking into consideration the research interests of our faculty (Professors Joël Beddows, Annie Brisset, Douglas Clayton, Michel Fournier, Dominique Lafon, Irena Makaryk, Yana Meerzon, Daniel Mroz, Sylvain Schryburt, David Staines, Alvina Ruprecht, and José María Ruano de la Haza, among others, teach MA seminars and supervise MA theses), we encourage the analysis of the Western world’s principal theatrical traditions from various discursive perspectives. We persuade students to increase their knowledge and understanding of Canada’s two principal theatrical traditions, as well as develop scholarly discourse in regards to each.
MA studies may be pursued in—but are not limited to—the following areas of theatre studies:

Theatre and Drama in English Canada
Theatre and Drama in Quebec
Theatre and Drama in French in Ontario (Franco-Ontarian theatre)
Theatre and Drama of the Americas
Theatre and Drama of La Francophonie (Francophone Caribbean, Algerian, African writers in Europe, Réunion, French Polynesia and Tahiti)
European Drama and Theatre, among others:

Medieval Drama and Performance
English Renaissance
French Classical Theatre
Spanish Golden Age and theatre of today
Russian Theatre
Students may choose to specialize in one or two of—but are not limited to—the following subjects:

Theory and Practice of Dramaturgy (production dramaturgy, new play development, dramatic and theatrical adaptation, edition and annotation of plays)
Theory of Performance (theory and practice of theatre criticism, text based, and devised performance, collective creation and site-specific theatre)
Theatre Archives
Theory and Practice of Translation for Theatre
In order to ensure high quality instruction of our students, we keep admission standards high and our student to teacher ratio low. The MA in Theatre Theory and Dramaturgy accepts only 6 students per year, with alternating English and French language cohorts. There will be only 12 MA candidates in the program at any given time.
Although the language of instruction in each given cohort is either English or French, the Department follows the University of Ottawa’s regulations on bilingualism and allows its students to maintain the right to submit their written work (seminar essays, final exams and MA thesis) in the official language of their preference.
The Department of Theatre will admit the Anglophone cohort in the Fall of 2008, and the Francophone cohort in the Fall of 2009.
Due to the demanding nature of this degree, the MA in Theatre Theory and Dramaturgy can only be undertaken as a full-time course of study.
Generous bursaries and teaching assistantships are provided for students with appropriate academic achievements.
Interested candidates are invited to contact Professor Kevin Orr, the Director of Graduate Studies, for more information: korr at uOttawa.ca, 613-562-5800 ext. 1258.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS MARCH 1, 2008

Yana Meerzon, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Theatre
University of Ottawa,135 Seraphin-Marion St. Room 304B
Ottawa, ON K1N 6N5 Canada
tel. 613-562-5800 ext.2243; yana.meerzon at uottawa.ca