WRITING AND READING BEYOND BORDERS

Angela Rebeiro editor at PLAYWRIGHTSCANADA.COM
Fri Jan 11 12:33:24 EST 2008

>> Hope someone includes in their paper that the importance of publishing
>> plays is that as books cross borders, more easily, frequently, and
>> less expensively than staged productions,
>> the visibility of Canadian playwrights and
>> their work has grown significantly in the past ten/fifteen years. And,
>> those borders are not just international,
>> they are provincial, academic, community theatre, schools, and for the
>> few readers drifting about who enjoy reading plays.
>> Recently I was invited to be part of a panel and as the only odd
>> person
>> in the room talking about theatre, the question came up about
>> why publish plays.  When I observed the features, it was clear from
>> the
>> expression on 20 people's face that
>> I'd hit a cord; none of them had given this a thought.  I believe
>> quite
>> strongly, however, that a lot more Canadian drama is being
>> done in the US, because playwrights Canada Press is represented in
>> the U.S. by Theatre
>> Communications Group for sales, marketing,
>> and distribution.  it's not just a distribution activity, which many
>> Canadian publishers have.  I think Albert Glaap, Ute Schafenberg,
>> Christian Horn and a few others who travel back and forth between
>> Germany and
>> Canada, have been able to encourage an interest
>> in Canadian theatre in that country, because we send books to them on
>> a regular basis.
>> Were theatre not published, academics and other teachers would
>> not have easy access to plays to enhance their literature and drama
>> classes.  Community theatres would not know about as many of the
>> Canadian plays as they now do, and so on and so forth.  Theatrebooks
>> now represents
>> about 30% of our annual sales, up from about 7 - 10%% 16 years ago,
>> and I
>> suspect that's true for the other drama publishers.  None of what
>> I've said here applies
>> only to this Press.  Talon's Modern Canadian Drama  does very well in
>> universities.  In fact I think these two volumes go along way to
>> sustaining Talon's publishiisng
>> programme, which is also fiction, poetry and non-fiction. Ditto for
>> Scirocco, and so their books
>> cross provincial borders and increase the visibility of Canadian
>> playwrights and their work.

And, so someone will now challenge me to say that the internet is even
faster, and I would not disagree with that,
but we're not there yet, and so in the meantime published plays slip
across all kinds of borders much more
readily than staged productions.