difficulties in publishing plays

Don Rubin drubin at YORKU.CA
Thu Jan 17 12:07:54 EST 2008

what angela says about free ISBN is also true in china.  there is no
isbn cost.

what happens there is that publishing houses routinely charge authors
and editors to publish their books.  they simply make up reasons for the
costs -- ISBN is the latest made up reason.  what do scholars there know
about what such things really cost.  sure, for foreign publishers to get
an isbn  there may be a modest cost but it is modest.  nowehere near the
numbers publishers there charge writers.

nevertheless,  the costs to the author/translator is real. so what does
one do?

if one really wants a book published there and one finds a willing
translator, they also need help in finding financial support from a
canadian source to cover the required payments to the publishing house.
a few thousand dollars is the norm.  would the embassy and/or the canada
council cover that?  they should.  that's the only way non-commercial
stuff (plays alas) get published in china.

best

don