CFP e-misf érica . . .

Denis Salter d.salter at VIDEOTRON.CA
Fri Jan 18 00:46:54 EST 2008

Greetings all,

Please forgive the mass email: I wanted immediately to share with you the new call for papers for the forthcoming issue of e-misférica, the biannual, peer-reviewed journal of the Hemispheric Institute, for which I've just become editor. We are working towards extending our 'hemispheric' conversations into wider scholarly networks, and inviting more scholars and artists in theatre and performance studies to participate in conversations with our colleagues to the south and north through the journal.  (see: http://www.hemisphericinstitute.org/journal/4.2/eng/en42_index.html  for the current issue).
The Fall 2008 issue will be devoted to "race and performance" and I would love to include your work, and/or have your perspectives on the issues most pressing in that field. Please share this call far and wide, and note that a version in Spanish and Portuguese will soon be available, and I would be very happy to share it with any colleagues whom you recommend. We publish in English, Spanish, and Portuguese.

All best, Jill

Call for contributions .  e-misférica 5.2 . Race and Performance in the Americas
e-misférica, the biannual, peer-reviewed, online journal of the Hemispheric Institute of Performance and Politics, invites submissions for its upcoming issue, which will focus on race in the Americas, exploring the making, maintenance, and change of racial formations through performance.
This issue aims to explore comparative racial formations in the Americas through performance.  How has performance helped to shape the specific ways in which race organizes social relations in specific social and historical contexts? When and how have racial formations been articulated or contested forcefully through the performing body? What racial "contact zones," to extend Mary Louise Pratt's evocative formulation, have been created by the contact, overlap, or interpenetration of racial formations in border zones and in the histories of migration, displacement and movement throughout the Americas?
Most national discourse in the Americas has relied on an implicit or explicit relation to race, through celebrations, negations, or disavowals of mestizaje, indigenismo, racial democracy, and so on; how and when has performance crucially intervened in these discourses? How has performance-from carnival to theatre to activism-served to pose and practice alternative or critical ways of living the realities of race?
Pertinent themes include:

Race + biopolitics, past and present

race versus ethnicity

Racial impersonation: blackface, yellowface, redface

Race + modernity, race + nation formation

race + performative visuality

Racial denial

Racial memory, racial trauma

trans/racial crossings; transnational racial formations

performance and histories of immigration (Arab, Chinese, Japanese, and more)

e-misférica includes essays and multimedia presentations by artists, activists, and intellectuals, as well as reviews of books, performances, and films. This issue will be published in November 2008. We welcome essays in Spanish, English, and Portuguese, approximately 5000-7000 words. All essays are peer reviewed. See http://hemisphericinstitute.org/journal

Please submit completed essays by March 25, 2008 to e-misférica at hemi.ejournal at nyu.edu. Please include "e-misférica 5.2" in the subject heading.
Advance queries are most welcome; contact Jill Lane, editor, at jill.lane at nyu.edu

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jill Lane
Assistant Professor . Spanish and Portuguese .
New York University

Deputy Director . Hemispheric Institute of
Performance + Politics . http://institutohemisferico.org

Editor, e-misférica .  http://emisferica.org

"Those who have an orphan's sense of history love history."--Anna in Ondaatje's Divisadero
"La Pocha Nostra is a virtual maquiladora [. . . ] that produces brand-new metaphors, symbols, images, and words to explain the complexities of our times. The Spanglish neologism Pocha Nostra translates as either 'our impurities' or 'the cartel of cultural bastards.' We love this poetic ambiguity. It reveals an attitude toward art and society: 'Crossracial, poly-gendered, experi-mental, ¿y qué?' " --Guilllermo Gómez-Peña.
Denis Salter
Professor of Theatre
McGill University
________