Thanks! - course credit for performance work

Erin Hurley, Prof. erin.hurley at MCGILL.CA
Thu May 15 09:34:56 EDT 2008

Thank you to all who responded to my query about course credit for performance and production work.  Merci à tous et à toutes qui ont répondu à ma question.  J'en sais gré.

The results, in short, are that most programs have some mechanism for granting course credit to students for performance and/or production work and a majority appear to have a performance practicum course with no (or very few) requirements beyond the students' significant contribution to a department show.  While this is certainly more common (and indeed, is often required) for BFA students, it is not an uncommon practice in BA programs.  At McGill, we have been arranging for this kind of credit through independent studies courses and are very glad to know that there is evidence from programs across the country and in the States to support our bid for a dedicated course number.

Cheers,
Erin

Erin Hurley
Assistant Professor of English