Thanks! - course credit for performance work

Lionel Walsh walsha at UWINDSOR.CA
Thu May 15 15:23:53 EDT 2008

Hello All: I don't think I noted that our courses for performance or
production on our main stage require that students keep a rehearsal and
performance journal, submit their research, and write a process paper,
which is graded for content, MLA style, and the mechanics of writing. This
actually applies to all of our performance courses.
Lionel

Lionel Walsh, Acting Associate Dean
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
University of Windsor
401 Sunset Avenue
Windsor, ON
N9B  3P4  Canada
www.uwindsor.ca/drama
519/253-3000, ext. 2093

"Erin Hurley, Prof." <erin.hurley at MCGILL.CA>
Sent by: Canadian Theatre Reserach <CANDRAMA at LISTSERV.UNB.CA>
15/05/2008 09:39 AM
Please respond to
"Erin Hurley, Prof." <erin.hurley at MCGILL.CA>

CANDRAMA at LISTSERV.UNB.CA
cc

Subject
Thanks! - course credit for performance work

Thank you to all who responded to my query about course credit for
performance and production work.  Merci à tous et à toutes qui ont répondu
à ma question.  J'en sais gré.
The results, in short, are that most programs have some mechanism for
granting course credit to students for performance and/or production work
and a majority appear to have a performance practicum course with no (or
very few) requirements beyond the students' significant contribution to a
department show.  While this is certainly more common (and indeed, is
often required) for BFA students, it is not an uncommon practice in BA
programs.  At McGill, we have been arranging for this kind of credit
through independent studies courses and are very glad to know that there
is evidence from programs across the country and in the States to support
our bid for a dedicated course number.
Cheers,
Erin
Erin Hurley