Canadian Play Revivals

Anton Wagner awagner at YORKU.CA
Mon Feb 9 18:56:35 EST 2009

My January 11 posting re the revivals of Canadian plays generated the
half-a-dozen absorbing responses from across the country below that suggest
there is room for yet more discussion on the topic.

When I applied to the Canada Council Explorations Programme in 1974 to research
the Canada’s Lost Plays series, I had the precedent of the America’s Lost Plays
series edited in 20 volumes under the general editorship of Barrett H. Clark.
Published by Princeton University Press in 1940-41, the America’s Lost Plays
series had the support of the Rockefeller Foundation and was published under
the auspices of the Dramatists Guild of the Authors’ League of America. Indiana
University Press republished the 20 volumes 1963-65 and added a 21st volume,
edited by Walter J. Meserve. Meserve favourable reviewed the Canada’s Lost
Plays series (“Any attempt to make a people aware of their heritage may be
construed as an act of absolute idealism...”) in Theatre Research in Canada 5:2
(Fall 1984).

If I remember correctly, the Canada Council provided $5,000 in research funding
for the Canada’s Lost Plays series which resulted in the publication of four
volumes by Canadian Theatre Review Publications during 1978-82: The Nineteenth
Century (Richard Plant, co-editor), Women Pioneers, The Developing Mosaic and
Colonial Quebec. Other volumes had also been conceptualized (war plays, labour
plays, etc.) but government cutbacks to universities forced CTR Publications to
cease its book publishing at York University and the series came to an end.

The aim of the Canada’s Lost Plays series was to suggest a history of primarily
English-Canadian drama and to reconnect both academic studies and live theatre
production with this cultural history. CANDRAMA subscribers provided the
following responses for this initial discussion: