Theatre History Question on behalf of a friend

Wes Pearce Wes.Pearce at UREGINA.CA
Fri Mar 20 16:24:00 EDT 2009

I am forwarding this email on behalf of Frank Miller (who's at Georgia
State).  I thought that there are many people on this list more able to
answer his questions than I.  Please respond directing to Frank at
frnklin2001 at att.net

Thanks,

I just read the intros to two books on Canadian theatre published in
the mid-70s. Neither one mentions the importance of "Fortune and Men's
Eyes," "Les Belles Soeurs" and "The Education of Rita Joe" -- the three
plays that now seem to be generally acknowledged for creating modern
Canadian theatre. Both seem to be still from the era when Canadian
theatre was viewed as primarily regional and an expression of the
nation's pioneer spirit. One even says that the attempts to deal with
urban issues have been shallow and insignificant.

So, when did the perception of Canadian theatre shift? And is the shift
complete? I don't know if my view is skewed because I'm reading mostly
gay, mostly Toronto-based theatre, but it now seems that Canadian
theatre is much more urban in focus with a great deal more focus on
interpersonal relations and personal traumas mirrored in an urban
culture. Is that really the case, or do I need to be reading more plays
about prairie life?

Wes D. Pearce, Head
Theatre Department
University of Regina