PSi 16 Performing Publics Conference - June 9-13, 2010

levin levin at YORKU.CA
Mon Jun 7 23:56:46 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

I'm happy to announce the 16th annual Performance Studies
international Conference, Performing Publics, which will take place in
Toronto at the Ontario College of Art & Design from June 9 to 13. The
conference, co-produced by York University’s Graduate Program in
Theatre Studies and OCAD, will investigate the power of performance to
intervene in, reshape, and reinvigorate the public sphere at the
beginning of the twenty-first century. Papers and presentations at the
conference will explore the relationship between performance,
“official” public culture, and the production of “counter-publics”.
Discussion also will reflect the vibrant history of urban intervention
and “public spacing” movements in which artists and activists have
worked together to change the shape of our shared local and civic
spaces. Important conference partners include Buddies in Bad Times
Theatre, FADO Performance Art Centre, the Graduate Centre for the
Study of Drama at University of Toronto, and the Luminato Festival.

For information about the conference program and registration, please
visit our website: http://psi16.com/

Hope to see you there!

Cheers,
Laura