First Run at a List of Women in Canadian Theatre

Louise . Forsyth louise.forsyth at SHAW.CA
Mon Jun 28 18:28:15 EDT 2010

Dear colleagues,

I am awestruck at the response I have received to my query regarding women
in anglophone Canadian theatre. Thank you so much for your generosity and
interest.

I am also awestruck by the number of wonderful artists which we have
mentioned in just a couple of days. What a rich theatrical and cultural
heritage this represents! - many regions, many areas of creative activity,
many historical periods. Drama and theatre would simply not be what it is in
Canada and would not hold such exciting promise for the future without all
of these women.

I have made a first synthesis of this list. It remains in no particular
order. When you sent details about the careers and work of these wonderful
women, I have plagiarised blatantly to retain the information. If this is
not an area of interest for you, please just delete. But if anything on or
about the list clicks for you, I would be delighted to receive comments and
further suggestions.

Obviously, it will not be possible for me to make entries in this dictionary
Des femmes for more than a few (5-10) of these theatre artists. However, it
will certainly be possible to provide at least an overview of the vital role
they have played and continue to play. I plan particularly to highlight the
rich diversity and creativity of women's work in theatre. This derives from
aboriginal peoples, regional diversities, the rich variety of cultural
traditions, and the boldness with which innovation and experimentation have
been carried out, often pioneering in fields of interculturalism and
intermediality. I believe that this is something Europeans and francophones
around the world will find particularly interesting.

Thank you ever so much again for your powerful responses. I loved hearing
from you.

Louise