First Run at a List of Women in Canadian Theatre

Helene Beauchamp beauchamph at SYMPATICO.CA
Wed Jun 30 19:11:32 EDT 2010

Bonjour Louise

Toutes mes félicitations pour cette belle liste d'artistes femmes de théâtre.
Je reconnais, parmi tous ces noms, ceux d'artistes importants qui ont également oeuvré dans le domaine du théâtre jeune public. J'ajoute donc ma suggestion à toutes celles que tu as reçues pour que ces femmes qui ont écrit, joué, mis en scène et scénographié le théâtre pour enfants et pour adolescents y trouvent leur place.
Les nombreux lieux de diffusion qui existent au Canada et au Québec, les festivals qui continuent de proposer une programmation réunissant différents genres, y compris le théâtre de marionnettes, ont souvent été dirigés par des femmes.
Tu auras l'embarras du choix... ce qui est bon signe... signe de la présence de plus en plus affirmée de la création théâtrale au féminin.

Très cordialement
Hélène Beauchamp
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Louise . Forsyth
  To: CANDRAMA at LISTSERV.UNB.CA
  Sent: Monday, June 28, 2010 6:28 PM
  Subject: First Run at a List of Women in Canadian Theatre

  Dear colleagues,

  I am awestruck at the response I have received to my query regarding women in anglophone Canadian theatre. Thank you so much for your generosity and interest.

  I am also awestruck by the number of wonderful artists which we have mentioned in just a couple of days. What a rich theatrical and cultural heritage this represents! - many regions, many areas of creative activity, many historical periods. Drama and theatre would simply not be what it is in Canada and would not hold such exciting promise for the future without all of these women.

  I have made a first synthesis of this list. It remains in no particular order. When you sent details about the careers and work of these wonderful women, I have plagiarised blatantly to retain the information. If this is not an area of interest for you, please just delete. But if anything on or about the list clicks for you, I would be delighted to receive comments and further suggestions.

  Obviously, it will not be possible for me to make entries in this dictionary Des femmes for more than a few (5-10) of these theatre artists. However, it will certainly be possible to provide at least an overview of the vital role they have played and continue to play. I plan particularly to highlight the rich diversity and creativity of women's work in theatre. This derives from aboriginal peoples, regional diversities, the rich variety of cultural traditions, and the boldness with which innovation and experimentation have been carried out, often pioneering in fields of interculturalism and intermediality. I believe that this is something Europeans and francophones around the world will find particularly interesting.

  Thank you ever so much again for your powerful responses. I loved hearing from you.

  Louise