CFP: Objects and Things: The Histories of Theatrical Actants

Marlis Schweitzer schweit at YORKU.CA
Mon Apr 16 10:45:27 EDT 2012

Greetings!

Please consider applying to the working group I'm convening with Dr.
Joanne Zerdy for this year's American Society of Theatre Research
conference in Nashville, Tennessee in November.

*____________________________________________________________________________________*

*Objects and Things: The Histories of Theatrical Actants*

*Working Group at the American Society of Theatre History *

Convened by Marlis Schweitzer, York University (schweit at yorku.ca) and
Joanne Zerdy, Penn State Erie (j.zerdy at gmail.com)

We are keen to explore a "remembrance of /things/ past," to chart the
on- and offstage lives of the things that comprise, support, and enact
theatrical performances (e.g. props, puppets, design elements, venue
architectures, texts, transportation vehicles, etc.). By adopting a
/thingcentric /perspective, outlined by political theorist Jane Bennett
and social scientists working in /actor-network theory
/and/object-oriented ontology/, we aim to rethink theatre histories from
the perspective of such things. We understand physical materials not as
inert human possessions but instead as /actants/, with particular
frequencies, energies, and potentials to affect the human and nonhuman
worlds in which they exist. This group seeks to build on extant
performance and theatre studies scholarship that foregrounds the
interdependence of organisms, objects, physical forces, ideas, and
social practices. With this in mind, we invite performance and theatre
practitioners and scholars to consider the contours of their work in
terms of the "vibrant matter" of theatrical things.

Papers might address the following questions:

·How do things perform? What kinds of agencies, energies, and directions
do they enact in theatre in the past and present?

·What new or overlooked theatre history narratives might emerge from a
/thingcentric /approach?

·What theoretical frameworks and methodologies do theatre and
performance scholars employ when they look at things? How might we begin
to map the different genealogies that inform /thingcentric /scholarship
today?

·How do theatrical things direct our critical and creative attention
toward, away from, and within archival research?

·How do animate and inanimate objects relate to one another during and
after live performance events (i.e. when placed on a props table, in a
dressing room, in stock, or in a site-specific venue)?

·Can commodified objects resist such economic classification and use? If
so, how? Where? When?

·How might a /thingcentric/ perceptive alter our understandings and
practices of collaboration, multimedia performance, and
interdisciplinarity in theatre?

·What can a theatrical object's circulation teach us about the movements
of ideas, languages, and bodies in a specific historical time and place?

*Session Format:*

We invite 500-word proposals that include an abstract for your ASTR
paper submission as well as its relation to your broader creative and/or
scholarly work. Include full contact information and organizational
affiliation (if any) on both your proposal and your email -- and send
your proposal to both conveners by May 31, 2012. Following the selection
of participants, conveners will generate initial discussion questions
and a bibliography of sources with which participants will be expected
to engage. Full 10-12-page papers will be submitted to the conveners by
September 30, 2012. Smaller groups will be assigned and expected to
interact with one another (through email, phone, and/or Skype) before
the ASTR meeting in November. Conveners will distribute a set of
discussion questions and/or a working session agenda by late October. We
also plan to coordinate a follow-up discussion online, initiated by
questions devised by the conveners from our meeting in Nashville.