PGC's Tom Hendry Has Passed Away

Anne Nothof annen at ATHABASCAU.CA
Sat Dec 8 18:47:27 EST 2012

Hello Ric and CanDrama folk,

Tom Hendry was also a considerable playwright. For a bio, see www.canadiantheatre.com.

Anne F. Nothof
Professor Emeritus
Centre for Language and Literature
Athabasca University
Editor: Canadian Theatre Encyclopedia (www.canadiantheatre.com)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ric Knowles" <rknowles at UOGUELPH.CA>
To: CANDRAMA at LISTSERV.UNB.CA
Sent: Saturday, 8 December, 2012 10:05:54 GMT -07:00 US/Canada Mountain
Subject: Fwd: PGC's Tom Hendry Has Passed Away

Dear all,

I was really saddened to get the message below from PGC about Tom Hendry's passing, and I've been astonished since not to have seen an obit in the major papers, or indeed on Candrama (unless I've missed something).

I only knew Tom in recent years as a member of the board of Playwrights Canada Press, but he was an unassuming giant: co-founder of Manitoba Theatre Centre, AND Toronto Free Theatre AND Playwrights Union, playwright, administrator, accountant (!)--and above all a huge champion of Canadian playwrights right up until the end of his life. He was also a person of extraordinary good humour, and a great story teller. I, for one, will miss him.

I'm not in a position to write a formal obituary--and I didn't know him that well--but I hope the Canadian theatre community will do something significant to mark his life, and his passing.

Best,

Ric

Co-editor, Theatre Journal
Professor of Theatre Studies