DEADLINE EXTENDED TO 25 MARCH: Digital Dramaturgy Debate @ CATR

Amanda Lockitch amanda.lockitch at UTORONTO.CA
Sun Mar 18 12:08:14 EDT 2012

DEADLINE EXTENDED TO 25 MARCH: Digital Dramaturgy Debate @ CATR

Please forward widely, with apologies for cross-posting.

Resolved: Digital tools are shaping the future of dramaturgy in the
theatre and the academy for the better.

Participants are invited for a CATR Roundtable that will consider this
question as an Oxford-style debate, with two teams organized to argue
against each other for the validity of the motion. We seek to unpack
and explore some of the crucial questions that face us as both
practitioners and teachers of dramaturgy in a Web 2.0 world: Does the
ease of doing research online with tools like Google make the
dramaturg a less valuable member of the production team, if not wholly
unnecessary? Is Wikipedia proving a great resource for students to
find broad details about a topic dealt with in a script, or a
convenient excuse for them to avoid doing deep research and thinking?
Do tools like iPads and laptops give us more ways to bring richer
media into the rehearsal and learning processes, or are they
distractions that lead to students and collaborators ignoring research
in favor of Angry Birds?

Potential participants are asked to submit a statement of interest
including a bio detailing dramaturgical experience to organizers
Amanda Lockitch and Justin Blum at dramaturgydebate at gmail.com The
deadline for expressions of interest is 25 March, 2012.

Questions and expressions of interest need not be formal, and
expressions in advance of the actual deadline are particularly
appreciated. You may indicate which side of the debate you think you?d
like to be on, but we?ll be asking everyone to keep an open mind and
be prepared to champion either side of the question: we?ll choose two
teams with the hopes of getting a mix of skills and experience on each
side. Selected participants will be in dialogue by email with
organizers and their team before the conference, and will be asked to
write a short position paper (2,000-3,000 words) prior to the
conference.