CFP: CATR 2013 Linking Theatre Research and Pedagogy

Luella Massey l.massey at UTORONTO.CA
Thu Nov 8 12:59:09 EST 2012

  Call for Participants: Linking Teaching and Research in Post-Secondary
  Theatre Environments

*Seminar Chairs: *

*James McKinnon* (Victoria University of Wellington) and *Barry Freeman
*(University of Toronto)

* *

*CATR/ACRT Conference 2013*, University of Victoria (Canadian
Association for Theatre Research/Association Canadienne de la recherche
théâtrale).

*1-4 June 2013, University of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada*

Building on the success of the 2012 “Creative/Critical Pedagogy Seminar”
we seek participants who are interested in creating productive
intersections between teaching and research in post-secondary theatre
environments.

During the period of this project (January – May 2013), participants
will use the “action research” model[1]
<file:///C:/Users/jamesmckinnon/Dropbox/CATR%202013%20Creative%20Critical%20Pedagogy%20CFP.docx#_ftn1>
 to develop, share, and evaluate teaching and learning strategies that
contribute to positive teaching and learning outcomes in their own
environments, and which can be disseminated and replicated in other
contexts. We will focus in particular on strategies that /exploit the
potential of theatre to stimulate learning /– a goal shared by all drama
and theatre academics and educators, and also one which acknowledges
that our discipline – to a greater extent than most – constitutes not
only a field of knowledge to be taught and researched, but also a medium
for both teaching and research.

Each participant will plan and carry out an experiment that puts drama
and theatre in the service of a particular learning objective, evaluate
the efficacy of their strategy, reflect on the results – and disseminate
the findings.  During the process, we will connect regularly through a
blog, to exchange ideas, methods, resources, and results. Participants
will be expected to collaborate through the blog, read and critique each
other’s drafts, and contribute to our public seminar at the CATR/ACRT
Conference in Victoria, 1-4June 2012. Through this process, participant
will develop professional skills, engage with scholarship on teaching
and learning, and work collaboratively toward peer-reviewed research
outputs.

We invite proposals from scholar/educators in all areas of
post-secondary drama and theatre. Prospective participants should *send
a bio along with a 250-word proposal* to CATRPedagogy13 at gmail.com
<mailto:CATRPedagogy13 at gmail.com> by *10* *December 2012. *Your*
*proposal should briefly describe the challenge you want to address in
your particular teaching/learning context. **

[1]
<file:///C:/Users/jamesmckinnon/Dropbox/CATR%202013%20Creative%20Critical%20Pedagogy%20CFP.docx#_ftnref1>
See Norton, Lin S. /Action Research in Teaching and Learning: A
Practical Guide to Conducting Pedagogical Research in Universities/.
London: Routledge, 2009.